Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Giving up technology

Every now and then, possibly as often as once a week, I consider completely giving up internet and computers. Then I remember that I do a lot of my business (paying bills, purchasing things, preparing my choir) with the internet, and there are other fairly important things that I do with the computer, mostly related to my choir or to music or to writing.

There is a part of me that longs for so-called simpler days, when communication was by telephone, postal mail, or most important, face to face. We still have those, but we have the new ways too, and I think the new ways have become more pervasive than the others.

Sometimes I think we just have too much communication, and that it is more often than not a lower quality of communication.

Be that as it may, for now, because of my bill-paying, and purchasing and other needs, I will stick with technology. But there is still that partially undefined longing within me. I think it is to be free of technology, or something like that.

Something I'm thinking about.

No comments: