Thursday, July 26, 2012

Rain And Grace

On the bus, on the way to work this morning, I was amazed at how low the level of the river was. It was perhaps the lowest I've ever seen it. And it's not like there has been no rain. The last week has seen at least two decent rain storms. But that water was here, not north of here, and has already gone down south. I suppose it's a drop in the bucket of how much water flows in the river.

This is one of the worst droughts we've seen. I think I saw it written that it is the worst since 1950, before I was born.

It reminds me of a passage in the prophets wherein the prophet predicts a drought of hearing the Word of the Lord. It is a fearful thing that most of us don't recognize. A drought of grace, a drought of hearing the word, a drought of receiving good, holy, true teaching, and holy help from heaven.

Much of it has to do with receptiveness. Grace, like rain, falling on hearts hardened by sin and self-centeredness and indifference, rolls off without penetrating. It can do no good. It can give no relief. We need to prepare our hearts like the soil, tilling and turning and fertilizing, so that when the rain falls, when grace is given, it will be able to do some good.

No comments: