Friday, August 10, 2012

7 quick Takes Friday, #9

1. Having read about the situation with many olive oils not actually being olive oil, or not being virgin olive oil (as the bottle states) or not being 100% olive oil, I decided to look into something other than European oil, and came up with this stuff:

... which I love! It has a nice grassy taste that I have never experienced in olive oil before. My wife, however, doesn't like it. So... I don't have to share!

2. Speaking of my wife, she really, really wanted this prayer book, put out by the Melkite Diocese of Newton...

...So, when I heard it was only $35, I decided to go ahead and order it for her. She's happy. I hope she likes it when it arrives.

3. We're planning on having a tag sale tomorrow. It might rain. The house has been in major disorder for weeks, while my wife seeks out and prepares stuff from our closets. We're hoping to make some money and attain some space in our house. It will be nice to have the piled up stuff gone.

4. For those of you who care, and who didn't see the post of a few days ago, I reached my low-carb way of eating goal. It took a year and a half, but I lost the 40 unnecessary pounds I had gained over the last 15 or so years. I owe it all to Reader's Digest, Gary Taubes,

and the interview with him about his book, Why We Get Fat. He also wrote the more technical, Good Calories, Bad Calories. I haven't read that.

5. Because of the possibility of rain, my wife is conflicted about having the tag sale tomorrow, but I think we should go for it. I think the chance is only 50% and she'll deeply regret it if she doesn't have it and it doesn't rain.

6. So, Today is the Feast of Saint Lawrence. For those of you who don't know, not only is he a martyr who laughed in the face of death, but he may have saved the stone cup used by Jesus at the last supper, which is now in Valencia Spain, in an ornate setting (which Jesus did NOT use.) You can read this book all about it.

7. Now, get this. Some few hundred years ago, a deacon, I think it was, somehow dropped the Holy Grail and broke it! I was astounded to read that. It has been repaired, but I guess you can see the crack. The thing survived persecution and fire and multiple transfers for centuries, and then a deacon drops it! I don't know what happened to the deacon, but I do not think I would like to go down in history as the guy who broke the cup from Jesus' Last Supper!

On that happy note, have a wonderful weekend, and be sure to check out Jennifer's Quick Takes!

No comments: